Empathy is under attack in so many ways today, yet compassion for the stranger and the most vulnerable is at the heart of what it means to follow Christ. Yesterday I joined Rural & Migrant Ministry. on the first leg of their thousand-mile caravan calling for empathy and humanity for migrants. We traveled to Bridgehampton, Riverhead, Southold, and Orient, linking nonprofits, building energy, and drawing more people into the journey as the day went on. It was powerful to witness that momentum and to stand alongside friends and colleagues in this work. I am proud to serve on the RMM board as they continue their seven-day journey.
A short reflection offered at the Full & Equal: 50 Years in Pursuit of a Promise conference in Minneapolis, MN. I remember the first time I ever heard Bishop Gene Robinson. It was in an interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air in July 2003. I was closeted, Roman Catholic, studying Latin American Liberation theology at a Roman Catholic university in Texas, and I remember feeling like he was speaking from somewhere over the rainbow. The interview focused on the split in the Anglican Communion, but what I recall is that he spoke of his life and faith in technicolor while I was still living in gray. I didn’t know then all that preceded to make that moment possible. After college, I went to Union Theological Seminary in 2004, joined St. Mary’s Episcopal in West Harlem in 2005, and, on graduating became communications assistant to the new Presiding Bishop, Katharine Jefferts Schori, in June 2007. It was a time of both excitement and dread: the first woman to serve as a primate in the...


Comments
Post a Comment