I recently had the chance to write for Church Anew about one of my favorite figures in the Christian tradition: St. Francis of Assisi. He is often celebrated hrough pet blessings (and who doesn't like a pet blessing?), but Francis also challenged the church of his day in bold ways. In this blog post, I explore what it meant for Francis to “rebuild the church” and what his witness might mean for us today.
A short reflection offered at the Full & Equal: 50 Years in Pursuit of a Promise conference in Minneapolis, MN. I remember the first time I ever heard Bishop Gene Robinson. It was in an interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air in July 2003. I was closeted, Roman Catholic, studying Latin American Liberation theology at a Roman Catholic university in Texas, and I remember feeling like he was speaking from somewhere over the rainbow. The interview focused on the split in the Anglican Communion, but what I recall is that he spoke of his life and faith in technicolor while I was still living in gray. I didn’t know then all that preceded to make that moment possible. After college, I went to Union Theological Seminary in 2004, joined St. Mary’s Episcopal in West Harlem in 2005, and, on graduating became communications assistant to the new Presiding Bishop, Katharine Jefferts Schori, in June 2007. It was a time of both excitement and dread: the first woman to serve as a primate in the...

Comments
Post a Comment